Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mid-Spring Yoga Flava Reflections 2012

2012 Yoga Retreat For Women of Color :
Angela Fears, Robin Downes, Maya Breuer
and Gail Parker. Yoga gear courtesy PrAna.

The "Yoga Retreat For Women Of Color": Stir Up The Pot, Bring On The Light! at the Kripalu Center (May 4 - 6th) As a co-presenter, the retreat provided me with the much needed platform to nurture and be nurtured by like minded women. People may ask why do women of color need a separate retreat - isn't it all yoga?  My answer is - - -  isn't all music, just music?  The difference is the artist talent and cultural interpretation.  Whitney Houston's version of "I Will Always Love You" moved me in a different way than the original creator's version by Dolly Parton.

The retreat provided the Yogini wisdom of Maya Breuer to her soulfully jazzy soundtrack. Maya surprised and delighted us with a jazzy vocal serenade!   The food for thought came from Angela Fears with a stimulating discussion on Integrating Nutrition: The Yoga of Healthy Eating .  The psychology of "Taking Yoga Off The Mat" from Gail Parker. I provided the Goddess Grooves - Yoga Flava style!  We stirred it up and mother nature bought out the light with a rare "Super Moon".

At the retreat we learned:
*How-to focus on yourself and rediscover who you are
*The practice of Sacred Rhythm Yoga
*Holistic tools for coping with stress
*How to integrate yoga into your daily life.

For over 15 years I have trusted the path of yoga and simply invited people to join me.  The retreat reflected back to me how far I have traveled on the path.  My recent 52nd birthday celebration was met by awe and accolades from my sisters of color, who commented on my youthful appearance and vitality. I was able to proudly tell them it is the result of my Yogic lifestyle!

Yes, it's been non-stop since I really did "Spring It On" the end of March and have a lot to share since then.  There are several Yoga Flava reports that I will be sharing shortly.

At the Yoga Journal Conference in New York I was introduced to the detox drink "Rebootizer", a powerful antioxidant instant drink made of natural detoxifying fruit and plant extracts.

At the Green Festival in New York I teamed up with "ElectroYoga", practice takes place in dark, with glow bracelets, flashing lights and a live D.J.  Looking forward to this as Yoga Flava Springs Into Summer with private sessions in person, on Skype or in a group in the park.  Countdown to the Summer Solstice In Times Square.   I signed up for the first session of the day.  Let me know if you will be there then so we can meet up!  email: robin@yogaflava.com

I'm working on editing all the great video footage that I have captured thus far for spring.  In the meantime, check out this Yoga Flava TV clip for last year's Yoga Journal Convention in New York that includes yoginis Maya Breuer and Faith Hunter:

Related Articles: 



Check out my recommendations : Wellness Products

Please "LIKE" the Yoga Flava Facebook page! 

Sign up for the FREE NEWSLETTER - http://www.YogaFlava.com/ 

Yoga Flava TV - Free Online Classes - http://www.youtube.com/yogaflava

2012 Yoga Retreat For Women of Color :
Angela Fears, Robin Downes, Maya Breuer
and Gail Parker. Yoga gear courtesy PrAna.
 

1 comment:

  1. Loved reading about the retreat. Hope to make it again. I had a wonderful time when I went in the past - it is such a powerful and intentional space created for and by women of color. Thank you for being apart of it there and everywhere you go!

    ReplyDelete